The recent hot weather, together with the wet winter, will prove a blessing for this year’s Pershore Plum Festival with a glut of all varieties of plums likely.
The month-long celebrations officially launch on Saturday 3rd August with a party in the town’s Plum Alley. Prior to that, at a Victorian-themed tea party, this year’s Plum Princess will be chosen on 28th July from a bevy of young hopefuls.
TV comedian Alistair McGowan, who grew up in Evesham, and is the newly-appointed Festival Patron, will also be visiting the town during the celebrations.
The Grand Finale takes place over the August Bank Holiday weekend when the town goes plum purple crazy. Thousands of visitors flock to Pershore to join in with the festivities which include the West Midland’s largest display of vintage cars.
Foodies will also love the fact that every food stall at the Festival will feature plums in some kind of guise be it plum sausages, pies, cocktails, beer, jam, chutney, cakes, plum baked ham, burgers and pate.
Of course, the success of this year’s harvest might also be attributed to the town’s famous Plum Charmer, Paul Johnson, who has been serenading the plums with his clarinet to ensure a bumper crop.
Angela Tidmarsh, Wychavon District Council’s tourism officer and festival organiser, commented:
“What makes this event special is Pershore and its people. The whole community joins in – shops dress their windows in purple, people wear purple to all our events and there is a carnival atmosphere throughout August within the town.”
The schedule of plummy events include:
• Princess Victoria Plum Garden Party @ The Angel Hotel, Pershore – 28th July
• Plum Family Race Night @ Worcester Race Course – 30th July
• Official Launch @ Plum Alley, Pershore – 3rd August
• Plum Coach Tours – 8th, 15th & 22nd August
• Meet Alistair McGowan, Patron of the Festival during the morning – 10th August
• Purple Pirate Weekend @ The Star Hotel, Pershore – 10th & 11th August
• Plum Jazz Festival, Pershore – 16th – 18th August
• Teddy Plum Praise Service – 18th August Pershore Abbey 4pm
• Plum Arts Trail – 24th & 25th August
• Brown Hairstreak (rare butterfly) Open Day – 25th August
• The Pershore Plum Bike Meet – purple themed motorcyclists ride into town! – from noon 25th August
• The Big Plum Beer, Music & Food Festival – 24th-26th August
• Plum Festival Day, Pershore – 26th August